The Bowers Bulletin

The Bowers Bulletin

Monday, February 7, 2011

FHE - Reverance/Scriptures

We have trying to be more reverent while in sacrament meeting and so I thought the perfect lesson for family home evening would be a lesson on reverence.

Lucas had other ideas. As I was trying to encourage Dustin to use actual scriptures instead of his phone to read the scripture, Lucas noticed the scriptures I was handing Dustin. We then tried to talk to Lucas about what they are and why we read the scriptures.

He then told us that Tommy has brown scriptures that he takes to primary every week and Lucas wanted his own scriptures.

Dustin told him that if he would sit and listen for 2 more minutes, we would find him his own scriptures. It was the longest 2 minutes of Lucas' life. I quickly talked about what reverence is and where we should be reverent but then we had to go find some scriptures for Lucas. I don't think the lesson on reverence was really heard. Maybe we'll have to try again next week.

Needless to say, he loved the Book of Mormon we found him - luckily I found one on the bookshelf. He opened the book and found a couple pictures in the front; one of Jesus, Joseph Smith, and Moroni. We talked about who they are and what they did. Oh and did I mention he fell asleep holding onto his new Book of Mormon?


It's amazing to me how many times I wished I would have listened more in seminary. Lucas is constantly asking questions about stories in the Book of Mormon and the Bible. I know some stories but I find myself turning to Dustin, the returned missionary, a lot just to be sure. I hope that Lucas continues to love his Book of Mormon and that he will find comfort in it the way that I have. I know that if he remembers the stories and the lessons taught in the scriptures, he will be continually blessed and comforted because of it.

Dustin says: The scriptures are an important way for us to learn about our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. They are like a journal of many people who lived a long time ago and wanted to share their experiences and things they had learned. By reading the scriptures, we can learn from them and become better people as well as learn how to become more like Jesus so that we can return to live with him someday. If you read your scriptures, you can feel Heavenly Father's love and become a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment